CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 1, 2012

Curriuculum Connections this Week

Dear Families,

Assessments help provide a baseline of where your student is and help me craft instruction.  I don't mind telling you it is a great tyrant of time!!  Our testing in Kindergarten is mostly one-on-one.  Alas, it must be done.  Tomorrow it will be completed until the next round which will be in Mathematics for Topic 3, Numbers 0 to 5.  I say all this to say thank you to the children for being patient and mulling through less than stimulating work while I get the testing done.  I appreciate your support as I circle the wagons on the homework, coming your way by Wednesday of this week.  I realize in the past I wasn't requiring for homework to be turned in, but am requesting it be turned in now. The skills sent home mirror what we are working on in class. The children will have a week from when it comes home to turn it in.  If you have any questions, please feel free to write me or call me.

Math - Completion of Topic 3- Numbers 0 to 5 and assessment
Reading - Retelling a story with details (characters, setting, plot, problem, solution)- Three Little Pigs
We are going to intertwine concepts of science and engineering into our Reading block by constructing the three types of shelter we read about in the story.  I'll be sure the Teacher Paparazzi shows up that day (a fellow teacher blogger came up with the term and every time I go grab my phone to take pictures I say, "Look out, learners!  Teacher Paparazzi!"
Science - Exploring gravity, recognizing the patterns of day and night, talking about the Sun and Moon
Social Studies - Recognizing how types of weather affect apple trees
Social Studies should be yummy when we incorporate mathematics into our lessons!  We will use measurement and data skills to graph what we like to eat best: apple muffins, apple pie or applesauce.
I want to be done with the testing to get to creating authentic learning experiences with the children.
I can hardly wait!
Warmly,
Mrs. C.

0 comments:

Post a Comment